Tuesday, October 21

Friend space : 34567893249834

Is it just me or is everyone your friend when you are involved with a group that reaps benefits? Like a job perhaps. And you find that people who never bothered to give you the time of the day in the past is actually talking to you. They ask countless questions not regarding your well being, of course, and they only get in touch with you when they need something. True, everyone has to satisfy their own needs through others. And true, everyone is a human being and likes to have their way. But we have to learn to let go of those people.

I've always had problems with saying no. And I've had friends take advantage of that. I would have people asking for hookups: free entry, wristbands, and drinks. I thought it was beyond ridiculous. I've never even had a real conversation with the majority of those who ask for a favor. It felt like they didn't see me as a person, but as a means to serve their own needs. It only took a bit of time before I reached my limit and finally put my foot down. I wasn't going to have people run all over me. And honestly, it doesn't make me a mean person for standing up for myself. Plus, real friends would understand. Real friends do not fear to say the truth in love and understanding that we can handle it.

"True friendship consists not in the multitude of friends, but in their worth and value (Ben Jonson)". In our lifetime, we may have many friends, but our list of true friends is extremely small. We all have the friends that we have fun with, but we are incapable of sharing our deepest, darkest secrets with. Then there are the special friends that you trust with anything. Everything. Your life. They are the good people that share a friendship without any underlying motives. They never stop believing in you, even if you give up on yourself. With them, friendship is a 2 way street. And even when apart, their presence still enhances us. Those kind of friends are the sunshine of my life. I consider myself lucky to have 5 close friends, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

No comments: